month #2

27.2.14

It sure doesn't feel like we've been here 2 months already.  Crazy how fast time flies when your living in Africa.  Here are a couple of things that I've learned the 2 months we've been here, this isn't even close to everything I've discovered but none of us have the time to go over all that.  So here's some randomness:



I have learned that Africa has the most beautiful sunsets, ever. 
 'nough said.


I have learned that there is never a limit to how many animals you can fit on one bike or motto.  
Whether it's who-know-how-many chickens, 4 goats, or 3 sheep, it can be done.  Sorry the pic is a little blurry and unimpressive, most times it's hard to see the guy through all the feathers but you get the idea.  This guy had 2 goats, a bunch of chickens, and even more guinea fowl tied to his handlebars.  
The phrase "Where there's a will there's a way" takes on a whole new meaning here. 

I have learned that, as hard as curly hair is to try to control in the states, it is impossible to do here.  I think I've worn my hair down a total of about 10 times in 2 months, and I'm very proud of myself that it's been that much.  And the whole "where there's a will there's a way thing" doesn't apply to my hair, sadly.  I've tried more things than you could shake a stick at, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
  So far, the beast remains untamed….


I have learned that some fruit can weigh up to 30 pounds.  And it's a little scary when you have a 30-foot tree in your courtyard (which you walk under) that is full of them.  But it's totally worth the tiny bit of anxiety they cause when they become your favorite fruit.  The Jackfruit in this pictures is the smallest one we've gotten, the other ones have been about double this size.  You should google it, it's really weird looking inside, kinda like a Star Trek creature, but they taste amazing!!


I have learned to figure out time-differences around the world very quickly and efficiently.  One of the biggest, unexpected blessing that we have had since being here is finding out that our internet is (most times) good enough to use FaceTime and Skype.  It's not the best video quality by any means but being able to hear people's voices and kinda "see" them has been amazing!  Sorry, the photos a little blurry and I'm a mess.  But in my defense it was 10:15 pm and my chance to talk with some of my dear friends, so it was all worth it!

I've learned that tank-tops are my best friends.  My amassing of old navy tanks over the years has finally paid off.  But no clothing here lasts very long between dirt, sweat (gross but true), working and how hard washing is on everything…. 


I have learned (or been reminded) of how blessed I am.  It's unbelievable the things that I took/take for grated.  Some of it is not having things here that I miss from the states, but it's also realizing how good we have it here.  I can whine and complain about the heat and dirt, but we have the ability to have fans and stay clean(ish).  I am so blessed to have the life I had, and have now.  Random pic of someone burning their field.


~

I was thinking about trying to do a video, but actually post it this time.  The one I tried to do in France was a smashing failure, I took way too long making it and then moving to another continent got in the way.  So now that there aren't any trans-continental moves in my foreseeable future, I thought I'd try again!!  I tried to make one the other day but had no idea what to say, and sitting alone on your porch talking to a laptop is a little bizarre.  So  I thought I'd ask if you guys have any questions about life here,  in France, etc. and then it might make a video a little easier to make.

Love in Christ,
Jana

You Might Also Like

6 notes

  1. Tell your Dad he's looking buff! ...and hug him for me. So sweet to see you and Megan :) Hugs for you both. Tha Jack fruit here was said to be mealy by the people I spoke with, but now I'll have to try it. Who is holding the Jack fruit with your Dad? Tell us what you eat and when. How long does laundry take? Are girls your age interested in trying to talk to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told him, he definitely appreciated t :) love and miss you all.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear from you and about you! Hey if you ever need prayer, I'll be more then happy to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how much it means to me to know that people are praying for us!! I'll definitely get back to you with specific prayer requests!

      Delete
  3. How cool! Love hearing random things about your life, it's all so different and interesting! More photos of you though, I insist!

    ReplyDelete

i love nothing more than comments, coffee and chocolate. so be a dear and leave a note…